The theory is that essential oils have molecules that are able to cross the blood brain barrier and are able to effect moods and ailments. If you have a problem, there is an aromatherapy for you. For the purpose of this post I am just focusing on the ones that seem particularly handy in helping with anxiety and depression. Of course this isn't going to being an end all cure all, but if you can find relief from it then what is the harm in trying?!
- Bergamot is said to have an uplifting effect to help with feelings such as anxiety, depression and sadness. It is also said to be able to alleviate pain. Bergamot is a citrus fruit.
- Basil works against depression, fatigue and anxiety. Basil can also be used to treat snake bites!
- Clary Sage can help with anxiety, depression and insomnia. This baby can also help with symptoms of PMS.
- Frankincense is said to be able to slow down one's breathing to help with feelings of anxiety, fear and stress.
- Geranium is a natural sedative to help with anxiety and tension.
- Jasmine has a flowery scent and is known to be an anti-spasmodic, and to help with mood. For you romantics out there, this one is associated with love.
- Lemon has a variety of uses. It is known to boost mood, combat negative thoughts, stress and even boost immunity.
- Lavender (a favourite of mine) helps with headaches, stress, depression, fear, nervous tension and also helps raccoons away.....a rant for another day.
- Mandarin works as an anti-spasmodic and can lift mood.
- Marjoram has been used to alleviate feelings of grief, sadness, loneliness, rejection and anxiety.
- Wild Orange helps to relieve symptoms of panic, anger, irritation and nervousness.
- Palmarosa is used for the treatment of stress and tension.
- Rose is said to have a stimulating effect on the whole nervous system. I also find it to be one of the more expensive ones out there, but I truly love it!
- Roman Chamomile has been used to treat depression, stress and insomnia.
- Sandalwood has sedation properties to treat tension and stress.
- Ylang-Ylang is the essential oil to balance female and male energies and to restore balance.
It is important that you get quality pure essential oils. They all vary in price and can also be bought in pre-blended combinations. I like to buy the individual scents and make up my own blends. You just put a few drops in your diffuser, on your pillow or in your bath and start enjoying the benefits!